Friday, June 3, 2011

WFH (Working From Home), Telecommuting, Working Remote. My Take on the matter.

Friday June 3rd 2011 -



This is wikipedias take on the matter of Telecommuting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommuting

I am working from home today.  I can not say enough about how much I like doing this.  I save money on gas.  I remove the hassel of driving through Friday traffic.  Believe it or not I do get more done when working from home, I actaully work more hours. 

I also like having a TV on while I work it is better than listening to music because It is easier to tune it out when I need to and its not right in my ear like earphones/plugs.  On Fridays I like listening to the Financial news on CNBC it really gets heated especially on a week like we have had this week.

When my son starts kindergarten in a few months and he is right by our house I will be able to go and pick him up when he gets out.  I know he will like this and wont need to stay in the after school program for 2-3 hours on that day.

If I didn't mention it I am a Software Engineer at a large financial institution named Raymond James Financial in St. Petersburg Florida.  Being a Software Engineer is the perfect job for telecommuting because all most all of my work is on the PC. It is probably in the range of 99%.  Most meetings I go to have someone on the phone who is working remote and it works fine.

I usually choose Friday to telecommute because it is open for me and it really makes the week go by nicely.  After working from home every Friday for 1 year I have also noticed there is a cumulative effect that occurs from this.  The effect is a more relaxed feeling all week.  I think this effect is more noticeable if your work at home day is either a Monday or Friday because it allows you to keep that weekend feeling going for one more day.  If you break it up by working from home Tues-Thur I don't the the cumulative effect would be as great.  So my final message will be to work from home, if possible, once a week on Monday or Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment